This was a project that sat on The Pile for a long time before I finished it.
I started it shortly after I embroidered this monster (which is in this post, so it must have been sometime in 2017) I loved that monster sample so much that I decided I needed an item of clothing with monsters on it.
|I recently framed my monster, because it's still my favorite embroidery sample!|
And we had an empty frame just the right size.
The monsters are mainly done on backstitch, because I wanted smooth, unbroken outlines. I used DMC cotton embroidery floss.
The black outlines around the edges of the waistcoat are 2 rows of split stitch very close together. I tried doing a satin stitch outline like they did on 18th century waistcoats, but it just didn't work well with the bumpy texture of the twill and the thickness of the 2 strands of floss. Before doing the embroidery on the left side I marked out the buttonholes and outlined them with split stitch too.
There were about 8 or 10 tiny specks of BRIGHT magenta on my waistcoat! I wouldn't have minded if they'd been grey, but the grey dye is made of a mixture of other dyes, and it seems the magenta one is the worst at dissolving.
I painted over them with tiny dabs of light grey fabric ink, which spread out a bit bigger than I intended, but it's not too terrible.
|Tiny arrow pointing to offending dye speck.|
I wonder if the greenish tinge is a result of not all the magenta having dissolved.
|My pieced back.|
I think it goes very well with the monster theme.
Everything else I did by hand, because the historical construction methods I used for my last waistcoat work so darn well and I love them.
I made buckram interfacing for it by stiffening some cotton muslin with fabric stiffener. I stitched it into the fronts and the pocket flaps, did the buttonholes & buttons, then added the lining.
|I used DMC cotton pearl for the buttonholes.|
bone button molds.
You see buttons with little starbursts on them on quite a lot of late 18th century waistcoats, and on such tiny buttons there isn't really room for much else.
|I worried that they'd look like buttholes, but thankfully |
they don't line up in an unfortunate way anywhere.
I sewed the side seams and tried the waistcoat on so I could carefully smooth and pin the shoulder pieces into a position that fit nicely. I had to piece big wedges into the shoulder seams, but I am not troubled by this. Triangular bits pieced into the shoulders are something a lot of extant late 18th century waistcoats have, though I suspect this has to do with cutting layouts and saving fabric rather than fit.
You can see some of the splotchy bits where I painted over the magenta spots in the above photo.
Elyse! (The one on the top left with the 3 little antennae.)
|Some of the monsters don't notice the buttons & holes, |
but some are shocked and amazed by them.
|The monsters on this pocket flap are having an argument.|
|And the ones on this pocket flap ... oh dear.|
I think the small one is about to be eaten.
a beautiful and very inspiring waistcoat book though...