National Maritime Museum.
Part of the description reads:
"The shirt is made of lightweight cream-coloured wool flannel. The skirt is of a heavier gauge wool flannel. The body is of four panels, the seams are finished with a combination of cross and herring bone stitch in white silk thread. The right sleeve is cut short and the edge is finished with blanket stitch. The collar is edged with linen tape. The shirt fastens in the front with seven dorset buttons which are supported by a strip of linen tape. The buttonholes are stitched into a wide stripe of cotton/linen tape. The right cuff is edged with narrow linen tape and fastens with a dorset button."
|Back view of the original shirt.|
I based my pattern loosely on my frock coat pattern, as it's cut much more like a coat than a shirt. I found it surprising that it doesn't even have underarm gussets, but the range of motion is not too bad.
I didn't cut the skirt separately as I only had one weight of flannel, but I have since bought some flannel yardage and will make more warm undershirts!
|Back view of the shoulder.|
It doesn't show up very well in this photo, but there's a lot of herringbone stitching here.
|Buttonholes are also done by hand.|
|I attached the linen first, and then cut the buttonhole through the flannel layer and sewed it.|
|I've been more excited about this project than any other garment this year,|
which I think is a pretty good sign that I need more warm clothes.
|Lovely fitted sleeves that I can bend my elbow in.|
Update: It has proven comfortable enough to sleep in! Which I wasn't expecting from something so fitted.
I also put on a regular shirt over it today, and was VERY warm. I look forward to wearing this in the coldest part of winter.