They're embroidered on plain white linen with 2 strands of embroidery floss. I laid down all the colour blocks like needlepoint.
Then I outlined it all with a couched white cotton yarn, and put gold chain stitch down the middle of all the stems.
Here are the rest of my fabrics. Yellow linen for the binding, soft canvas for the back, and under the top 3 fabrics is the off white linen I used to back the embroidery on the front part.
I sewed the edges together with a backstitch.
And very carefully sewed the bias binding on with tiny stitches. I didn't have any yellow silk thread, and didn't want to wait to get some, so I used off white and it blended in pretty well.
The strips along the top are not bias because they don't need to stretch.
My longest standing unfinished sewing project is done!
Now I have yet another pair of ladies' pockets that I'm never going to wear. Oh well. I started them, and am glad I finished them. If nothing else, they were a good thing to work on while waiting for stuff.
The gold thread in the originals is much thicker than mine, and I used linen because I didn't have silk satin, but that's ok. I thin overall they came our pretty good! (Though my more recent stitching is better than the bits I did 5 years ago.)
And the Met's pocket.
Now I can move on to other embroidery projects! Yay!