I did two screen printed designs in first year. A mole skull, and some roses, both of which were from pen drawings I did and then scanned.
|I printed the mole skull in metallic ink on some black pieces of fabric,|
and on a shirt and dress for a couple of friends.
|The roses only ever got printed in black dye paste on some greyish muslin.|
|Lots of wobbly patterns where the dye separated.|
I drew this very startled looking creature with wonky Greek key things, and I'd love to have it on a plate. A big horrified monster serving platter!
|Sharpie drawing, edited in Illustrator.|
fish banyan, but I did a swirlyboop block before the fish one. I didn't much like the idea of reduction block printing on fabric (Because it means you can't print more of the same later), so I just printed it first with the outlines carved out, and then carved away the tiny background spaces.
|It's inspired by those Beardsley swirly patterns, like my embroidered waistcoat.|
|You can see here that it's a half-drop repeat.|
|Muslin printed with two colours.|
|The white on a dark background is my favorite one.|
|Cotton with fish done in speedball fabric ink.|
|Warm fuzzy flannel with fish in black dye paste.|
|The sketchbook page with my coffin line drawings.|
|Someday I will make something or other out of this.|
|I like this one best.|
The theme was "geo", meaning both geometric and geological stuff. My favorite design was the one inspired by bismuth crystals.
|This took so very long, but was worth it.|
|And it did line up! The tracing paper and careful measuring worked!|
|I added dark and light bits to make it less flat.|
|The only one of my designs that actually resembles geodes.|
|Pillars, with a total of 3 of my watercolour textures in there.|
This assignment was great practice in getting used to photoshop and layers.
|I tried to draw a more complicated version of these, but it didn't work out.|
|Took a very very long time to colour these in a way I was happy with.|
Here is my board with the pieces cut out but not assembled:
For our final project in screen printing, we got VERY big screens, and had to do a 3 colour print with them. I did birds on branches. I roughly sketched out the design on 4 big sheets of paper, scanned them all, and used that to draw my whole repeating design in photoshop with one of the school drawing tablets.
|one of the 4 sheets. I think these were 9" by 12".|
|Bird cotton yardage. I think this is 4 screen repeats.|
It's fairly slow going, since you have to wash the screen and wait for things to dry so often, and do the whole process 3 times over when you're doing 3 colours.
flame coloured birds.
|Not bad, but very bright.|
I'm going a bit out of order here, because this next project was earlier, but this is Mr. Leefy.
|A slightly edited scan of my pen drawing.|
|These are the screens.|
shitty dinosaur drawing shirts.
awful dinosaur satin waistcoat lining, which was done when we were learning silk painting.
|This is before steaming and washing, but the colours stayed just as bright.|
|My teacher told me I'd never get a sketchy effect with dye paste and those little drawing bottles.|
|It's a bit hard to tell which parts I drew and which parts Laura drew.|
|Not as good as it could be, but not bad!|
Speaking of splotchy pieces of cotton, this was a cotton scrap I had soaked up some leftover dye with, and it looked very ugly but kind of stormy. I tried painting it with both watered down fabric printing ink and acrylic paint mixed with textile medium.
|Some of the shading on the clouds is added, as is the black at the bottom.|
This particular piece of cotton was so smooth I got a great level of detail in this small portrait of Dave Vanian.
|Small cemetery doodle on another smooth cotton scrap.|
That was probably far too many pictures to put in one post, but I will not make a habit of it.