I altered a nightgown recently! (Edit: it was recently completed when I started this post, but it's been sitting in my drafts for a while now. I also have a pair of stays I finished last month and have yet to blog about...)
It had these stupid 3/4 length sleeves with button cuffs on them. What's the point of cuffs there?? They were way too short to reach my wrist, and so tiny that buttoning them around my arm was impossible.
Bad and foolish sleeves, so I cut them off. I turned one of them into bias binding for the armholes, and the other I used as a collar ruffle. I was very indecisive about the collar, but eventually went with a stand collar and put a ruffle along the top. There wasn't quite enough sleeve material for the collar itself, so I used a different scrap of white cotton.
I did some practice monsters on a scrap of sleeve. (Which turned out blurry after steaming because I didn't rinse it in dye set solution.)
|Always, always wear gloves when working with PRO MX fiber reactive dyes.|
|And she does have a lower jaw, it's just very thin.|
|Old gown on the left, new one on the right.|
|And here she is wearing it! Photo taken by my father.|