This was a school project, so it technically wasn't made for the HSF, but I finished it recently and it fits this fortnight's challenge.
|The CB is on the left and the CF is on the right.|
|The two ticking layers with the boning channels drawn on them.|
|Lots of tedious laminating.|
There are two boning channels on each CF and CB edge, and one on either side of each seam. The ones on the seams are spiral bones and the ones on the edges are plain spring steel. The flannel layer goes in between the ticking sandwich and the outside fabric to hide all the ridges.
|The CF edge.|
|We had to finish the top and bottom edges with piping instead of binding them.|
|The front looks so awkward.|
|At least the back half looks nice.|
Fabric: Flannel, quilting cotton, cotton ticking, silk satin.
Pattern: Drafted by me.
Year: 1880's, sort of? It did not turn out the way I pictured it.
Notions: Cord, grommets, spiral bones, coated spring steel bones.
How historically accurate is it? Unfortunately it is not very accurate. The fiber content is, but not much else. I really wish the assignment didn't have such rigid guidelines, but it did. Oh well.
Hours to complete: 46:05
First worn: June 4th, 2014
Total cost: About $ 20, for the fabric. Most of the notions were provided by the school, but we'll have to pay for our own next year.
Some day I might pick this corset apart, take in the seams and put it back together without the piping. Maybe then it would have a more 1880's shape. For now I'm just glad to be finished with it.
In other news, I gave my liripipe hood away because I will most likely never wear it. It just doesn't go with the sort of clothes I want to wear at all.