This was my inspiration picture.
|Orientalist caps c. 1907 (source)|
They remind me quite a lot of Poiret. There is a similarly shaped cap with his name attached to it but it's colours and texture are bizarre.
|Poiret's "Oriental Inspired Collection" 1910. (source)|
|The wider part is the front.|
I stitched the two flat ends up by machine and gathered the sides with hand basting stitches.
The original is lined in black. I hand stitched a black ribbon across the forehead so that the white lining in mine wouldn't be so glaringly obvious. I don't know why I didn't just line it in black in the first place.
|I love this zipper foot. It's adjustable, which is very useful when the needle of your sewing machine doesn't move.|
|Sewing spirals securely. I was a bit worried that I would break a needle, but I didn't.|
The second spiral came out much nicer than the first. The first was kind of shifty and you could see light through it, while the second was sewn together very firmly and was coiled a bit tighter.
|The first is on the left, the second is on the right. The difference doesn't show up very well in the photographs.|
I picked the first one apart and sewed it up again. Now both are of equal quality.
For the spaniel ear tassels I used fine black cotton yarn, and a tiny bit of purple silk.
Each tassel rope has 2 beads on it. They were extremely difficult to thread on, but they don't need knots under them to keep them from moving.
|5 finished tassels.|
Here they are attached to the ear-medallions.
|I'm glad I remembered to make them spiral in opposite directions.|
|Finally! everything is sewn in the right place.|
|I am very tired.|
#14, Eastern Influence
Fabric: A piece of white rayon, a piece from a purple poly satin coat lining. I don't know the exact surface area of the fabric I used.
Pattern: Made by twisting the lining around my head.
Year: The auction site said c. 1907 but that seems a bit early to me. Does anybody know if this may be from a later date?
Notions: 37 cm of black poly satin ribbon, 5.16 m of hemp cord (4 lengths of 1.29 m), 20 small black glass beads, enough fine black cotton yarn (and a little purple silk) to completely obscure the cover of The Bobbsey Twins of Lakeport.
How historically accurate is it: The construction is probably not too bad. The look is mostly accurate but my polyester fabric is bubbly looking compared to the drapey silk of the original. Aside from the glass beads and the tiny bits of purple silk in the tassels and the medallions my materials are all wrong. Linen certainly existed but it would not be found in a cap like this.
Hours to complete: 22 hours and 9 minutes, including the several hours spent locating all the materials.
First worn: July 5th, but only for a few minutes.
Total cost: $0. Everything was stash stuff.
Some day I would like to make a dress to wear with this cap, but I can't afford new fabric at the moment. I might wear it around the house to keep my head warm once the horrible summer weather has passed. I can't wait until the sky clouds up and the weather goes back to being nice and cold and dreary.