Thursday, 25 April 2013

Green Ensemble, part 3

It's been a while since I posted about this project. I can't think of a good name for it, so I will just call it "Green Ensemble".

The last post was about the corded panels. This post is about the mottled green covers for the zip tie boned panels. The construction of the boned panels themselves can be found in part 1.
Just to refresh your memories, there are 6 pieces, numbered like so:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6.
2, 4, and 5 are the corded ones. 1, 3, and 6 are the boned ones.
6, 3, and 1 in various stages of construction.
Before I started on the actual pieces, I made a sample. (I apologize for the poor quality of these photographs)
This is the sample.
The sample turned out fine. I arranged some pearly beads and the snarled up threads from the edges of my petticoat fabric on the sample to see what they would look like. I found the result most agreeable.
Most agreeable. This is how I will trim it.
For this post I will show pictures of the back panel (#6) being put together.
First, I cut it out once in dark green cotton, and once in the light green cotton. Then I basted the light green cotton on top of the dark green cotton.

This is what my basting looks like when I'm really excited about getting to use the free motion foot. Not very well spaced.
I started drawing lots of jagged lines with my chalk line maker. (It's this little plastic tube that's tapered at one end. It has a gear in it, sort of like a tracing wheel, and it drops a nice thin line of chalk dust when you run it over the fabric.)
chalk lines. Some of them already sewn over.
I made sure to draw closed shapes and not to cross any of the lines, so that they will make sense when they are cut out. I sewed over the chalk lines as accurately as I could with the free motion foot. Then I carefully cut out the insides of all the shapes with thread scissors, staying about 1.5 mm in from the stitching. I roughed up the edges a bit using a tiny little square of sandpaper.
The finished cover for the back piece.
I was thinking of seaweed when I started on these wobbly patterns, but now I think that they look more like lichen.
The boned panel that it will cover.
I pinned the two coloured panel on top of the boned one.
Pins all around the edges. Except for the shoulder parts.
Then I realized that it would be a good idea to trim the corners off the point of the boned canvas piece, so that it will be easier to fold the edges in later.
The corners, cut out to reduce bulk.

The end bit folded down and stitched.
The outer piece was basted to the Boned canvas piece on all of the edges(except the shoulder parts).
I sewed it down to the two longest sides, the sides that will be sewn to the other panels, with longish machine stitches. The edges of the armhole and the neckline are still only attached with basting. This is so I can adjust things later, when I sew the panels together, which is what the next Green Ensemble post will be about.