Also, I've finished the line diagrams.(click for a larger view)
|Front view of the completed bodice.|
|The inside of the bodice.|
There are 6 corded panels, 3 on each side. Each panel has an "a" and a "b" pattern piece.
|(From left to right) 2b,2a,4b,4a,5b, and 5a.|
|The "a" and "b" pieces for panel 5.|
|The "b" pattern piece, and the piece that I actually cut out.|
I tried to sew up panel #4 by cutting the pattern pieces out exactly. This is what happened.
It wasn't a total waste, I cut the ruined panel in half and used it as a sample for sewing two corded panels together, which turned out very well.
While the pieces have a lot of extra on the sides, they still have to be cut the same on the bottoms.
|The bottoms sewn together, trimmed(no notches!), and pressed right side out.|
The cord is first eased into place with a thumbnail and cut, leaving about 1 cm of extra length on each side. The first cord in each panel is the most difficult one to sew in smoothly.
|Thumbnails are very useful.|
|My other hand would be there too, helping keep the cord in place, if it weren't holding the camera.|
|3 cords in.|
Another thing that happens is the rough edges of the "b" panels and the ends of the cords stick out over the edge of canvas and obscure your view.
|From the top, you can't tell where to put the foot anymore.|
|Trimmed.(after 3 cords)|
|After 18 cords.|
By the time the panel is almost done, the cords are getting very straight and are not curved at all. At this point the top fabric may run out but this is not a problem at all.
|Oh dear, panel "b" was too short.|
|The rectangle goes on like this.|
|The rectangle of scrap fabric is attached.|
|Trimmed very short, only a little bit wider than a cord.|
|2 cords after the fix. Quite inconspicuous, especially since this part of the panel will be almost completely covered when the bodice is done.|
|Panel #2, for the left side, finished!|
|Texture! like furrows in a ploughed field.|
|All 6 panels. Done. Finally.|